The #CostingEquity report is part of IDDC research into the financing of inclusive education for children with disabilities which contributes to the global discourse on education finance by providing a disability perspective on donor and government investment into inclusive education.
The #CostingEquity report looks at the benefits of financing disability-inclusive education, the current state of education financing with regard to inclusion, and what needs to change in order for education financing to effectively support the realisation of Sustainable Development Goal 4 and Article 24 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UN CRPD).
The research, funded by Open Society Foundations (OSF), Light for the World International and other international disability and development organisations was launched at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) 2nd session on 17 October 2016 in New York. The launch event was hosted by the Austrian, Australian and Ethiopian Missions to the UN.
The findings from the #CostingEquity report will feed into a range of advocacy activities and campaigns over the coming year, as the ambition of IDDC's Inclusive Education Task Group (IE TG) is to drastically change the situation in the coming years.
IDDC and its IE TG will be tweeting about the research, findings and key advocacy messages using the hashtag #CostingEquity
Key downloads - #CostingEquity report and summary reports
- #CostingEquity: The case for disability-responsive education financing - Full report in English
- Summary of #CostingEquity report
- Large print summary version of #CostingEquity report
- Complete references for #CostingEquity report
- #CostingEquity poster
- IDDC press release on the #CostingEquity report (October 2016)
- #CostingEquity: Pour un financement de l'education adapte aux besoins des personnes handicapees (summary version in French)
- #CostingEquity: Argumentos a favor de la financiacion de la educacion adaptada a las necesidades de las personas con discapacidad (summary verion in Spanish
Key milestones for the #CostingEquity campaign:
- Initial presentation of #CostingEquity at the Conference of State Parties to the UNCRPD in June 2016 - two version of the initial leaflets as presented are available, the full leaflet and a short version of the leaflet
- Launch event at the UN General Assembly in New York on 17 October 2016
- Presentation of #CostingEquity at OSF London on 22 March 2017
- Call to Action to Invest in Disability-Inclusive Education launched on 27 April 2017 which calls on governments and donors to significantly step up action to deliver on the promise of the Sustainable Development Goals to ensure quality education for all children, by investing in inclusive education for boys and girls with disabilities.
- Launch of the newsletter EduInvest Quest: Disability inclusive education financing