Together For Inclusion - European Disability and Development Week 2017 (EDDW17)
From 3-10 December 2017, the International Disability and Development Consortium (IDDC) together with other representative organisations of persons with disabilities and mainstream development organisations, is coordinating the European Disability and Development Week (EDDW).
EDDW begins on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities (3 December) and concludes on International Day of Human Rights (10 December). IDDC links both celebrations in the framework of EDDW with the aim to raise awareness of the need to include the rights of persons with disabilities in mainstream human rights and development policies and programmes. This is especially relevant at European level since the European Union (EU) is the first and only regional body to have ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and, together with its Member States (MS), is the largest donor of Official Development Assistance (ODA).
This is the second edition of EDDW which is led by IDDC, in collaboration with the European Disability Forum (EDF), the European Network for Independent Living (ENIL) and DSW among others, and with the support of the European Commission. Various events will take place during EDDW, addressing different approaches towards the inclusion of persons with disabilities in developing countries. We encourage you to join us for the following events:
Sunday 3 December
- Disability Day – Art & Action, organised by Abilis in Helsinki, Finland
Monday 4 December
- Panel Discussion on “Leave No One Behind – Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities” organised by Sudwind in Vienna, Austria
Tuesday 5 December
- Launch event of “Bridging the Gap – European commitment for the Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Development Cooperation” organised in the framework of the Bridging the Gap project in collaboration with the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium
Wednesday 6 December
- Event on “Addressing the inclusion of persons with disabilities in humanitarian action – A European perspective” organised by Handicap International, CBM and EDF in collaboration with the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium
- Photo exhibition on “Close up to your rights” organised by Society of Social Psychiatry & Mental Health in Athens, Greece
Thursday 7 December
- Breakfast event on “Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights for women and girls with disabilities” organised by Light for the World and DSW in Brussels, Belgium
- Lunch event on “The impact of inclusive education and employment, an example from Africa” organised by CBM in Brussels, Belgium
- Roundtable on “Safe mobility: high stakes for persons with disabilities in developing countries – How could the EU support accessibility and road safety for the realisation of SDG 11 – Target 2” organised by Handicap International in Brussels, Belgium
- Battle debate on “UN CRPD + SDG = (Art. 19) – A real inclusion for all?” organised by ENIL in Brussels, Belgium
- IDDC is organising a Thunderclap for #EDDW17 and we need at least 100 supporters before 2pm CET on Friday 8 December for our message to be shared - please sign up and show your support for #EDDW17 using Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr accounts
- Last day for submitting photos: As part of EDDW17, IDDC launched a photo contest to promote an interaction at global level with both citizens and Civil Society Organisations. The ten best pictures will be shown in an exhibition next year in February and March in Mundo J, an eco-renovated building in Brussels where about thirty actors for social change including IDDC have their office.