European Development Days 2019 - High-level conference
The session will discuss the main barriers for active and meaningful participation of persons with disabilities in democracy and decision making processes. Despite the different international frameworks, persons with disabilities are still one of the most discriminated and vulnerable groups, due to attitudinal barriers and lack of accessibility and inclusion. In this sense, the session will explore ways to develop a disability-inclusive perspective in the human-rights based approach, to leave no one behind. As part of the agenda, the session will, as well, debate about the multiple discrimination that women, migrants, ethnic minorities or LGBT with disabilities, among other groups, face, and will provide recommendations for an inclusive and accessible implementation of the 2030 Agenda.
- Margaret Orech, Director, Uganda Landmine Survivors Association
- Veliko Velikov, Self-advocate, Lumos
- Alberto Durán, Vice President, Spanish Organisation of the Blind (ONCE)
- Ioannis Vardakastanis, President, European Disability Forum
- Mihret Nigussie Chengerei, Federation of Ethiopia National Association of Person with Disability
- Henriette Geiger, Director, Directorate People and Peace, European Commission - DG for International Cooperation and Development
Moderation: Javier Marcelino Güemes Pedraza, International Relations Director, ONCE
In partnership with the ONCE, Lumos, the European Disability Forum and Bridging the Gap II.