The High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development in 2018 convened under the Economic and Social Council will take place from 9-18 July 2018 at the United Nations (UN) in New York, including the three-day ministerial meeting of the forum from 16-18 July.
The theme for HLPF 2018 is "Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies". The set of goals to be reviewed in depth will be the following:
- Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development (this Goal will be considered each year)
Voluntary National Reviews at the HLPF 2018:
As part of the follow-up and review mechanism, the voluntary national reviews aim to facilitate the sharing of experiences, including successes, challenges and lessons learned, with a view to accelerating the implementation of the 2030 Agenda.
In 2018, the following 47 countries have volunteered to review and report during the HLPF on their national level implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs):
Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Australia, Bahamas, Bahrain, Benin, Bhutan, Cabo Verde, Canada, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Greece, Guinea, Hungary, Ireland, Jamaica, Kiribati, Lao People’s Democratic Republic (PDR), Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Mali, Malta, Mexico, Namibia, Niger, Paraguay, Poland, Qatar, Republic of the Congo, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sri Lanka, State of Palestine, Sudan, Switzerland, Togo, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uruguay, and Vietnam.
Key documents for HLPF 2018:
- Provisional agenda for HLPF 2018
- Inclusive, Safe, Resilient and Sustainable Societies and Persons with Disabilities - HLPF 2018 submission on behalf of the Stakeholder Group of Persons with Disabilities
Further information on events being organised during the HLPF by IDDC and its members will be added when available.